Dog Gear & Dog Gear Manual

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Since there has been some interest shown in K9's I thought I would throw this in the mix.

post-5-1167844279.jpg

post-5-1167844330.jpg

post-5-1167844342.jpg

post-5-1167844356.jpg

post-5-1167844373.jpg

Thank you for starting this topic. It is very interesting. I'm just going to add a WWI photo of a French soldier and his dog, both wearing gas masks.

post-70-1167887002.jpg

Not really having to do with dog equipment, but here is a nice picture of war dogs in action during WWII. I got it from a WWII vet who was with the 4th division of Marines in the Pacific theater. It shows two Dobermans in action, with one heading down towards a cave, and the second dog waiting patiently to bite whoever comes out.

post-299-1167962145.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1168897641.jpg

Thanks for starting this. I have several items all dog related, but presently this is the only one I can put my hand on, a dog message collar. I have an original WWII dog gasmask in it's original carton but it's in deep storage at present else I would have loved to show that.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
General Apathy

post-344-1193985969.jpg

Hi To Craig who started this link, and to all the others who joined in. While sorting things for moving to my next house I pulled this what I believe to be a WWI dog canteen set out to show on the forum.

I can only describe what is evident, I have never managed to find any written or photographic evidence for it. It all appears to be factory construction in American material and webbing. There one long band at the rear appears to be the belly band and the shorter one appears to be a neck band with a spring clip that would possibly attach to the dogs own collar metal loop. The canteen and cover are WWI dated. I think I once read that dogs were sent out to wounded or trapped soldiers in no-mans land with water bottles but don't remember where I saw that.

However the other conclusion is that if is not a dog canteen, then it must be ' Airborne ' , any unidentified piece of

webbing has to be ' Airborne ' e-bay sellers say so. Hee Hee

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Military Collector
Since there has been some interest shown in K9's I thought I would throw this in the mix.

post-5-1167844279.jpg

post-5-1167844330.jpg

post-5-1167844342.jpg

post-5-1167844356.jpg

post-5-1167844373.jpg

Would anyone have the measurements of these vests? I would like to get them or some technical drawings to make a reproduction one.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Would anyone have the measurements of these vests? I would like to get them or some technical drawings to make a reproduction one.

Thanks

Supposedly the guy that runs "Well Dressed GI" has talked about reproducing these for a long time, but I guess it has never materialized.

http://www.welldressedgi.com/WellDressedK9.html

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I just acquired a Silver Star Dog Handlers Helmet and Jacket as well as a War-Dog Manual how hard is it to find War-Dog related items... ? I'll post up the War-dog stuff I have when the helmet comes in. But I have War dog sponsorship paperwork that my grandmother did for the Wardog Defense fund. I saw a certificate go for 70$ on ebay this week.