Newest Posthumous Navy PH for my collection

tom2001

This one just arrived in the mail today.

It's a nice, clean Navy Type I Purple Heart, officially engraved to ENSIGN ARTHUR DIIRCK JR, USN.

ENS Diirck graduated from the US Naval Academy in June, 1942, and he was serving aboard USS VINCENNES on the night of August 8-9, 1942, when the cruiser VINCENNES was attacked by the Japanese 8th Fleet in the Batle of Savo Island

Diirck was from Los Angeles, California. His remains were never recovered.

post-126-1300745370.jpg

I just got my 1st one of these and have been cruising the forum for posts looking at so many of these beautifully engraved medals. I now understand why these are so sought after, great medal :thumbsup:

Brian Dentino

Very nice PH Tom! Man, after viewing so many of these beautifully engraved Hearts on here I just gotta get me one....or two.....or :think:

Damn...that is a fantastic medal.

That has special meaning to me being a plankowner of the Vincennes (CG-49, not the heavy cruiser). I focus, when I can, on Vincennes-related items.

Beautiful Purple Heart Tom! These "remains not recovered" medals to me are even more somber than other Purple Hearts as this may be the only item that the family receives to remember their loved one.

This one just arrived in the mail today.

It's a nice, clean Navy Type I Purple Heart, officially engraved to ENSIGN ARTHUR DIIRCK JR, USN.

ENS Diirck graduated from the US Naval Academy in June, 1942, and he was serving aboard USS VINCENNES on the night of August 8-9, 1942, when the cruiser VINCENNES was attacked by the Japanese 8th Fleet in the Batle of Savo Island

Diirck was from Los Angeles, California. His remains were never recovered.

Tom,

I have the Survivor, WIA, KIA and MIA lists for the CA-44 that were dated October of 1942...Ensign Diirck is not amongst any of the lists. Are you sure he wasn't on the Quincy or Astoria?

Tom,

I have the Survivor, WIA, KIA and MIA lists for the CA-44 that were dated October of 1942...Ensign Diirck is not amongst any of the lists. Are you sure he wasn't on the Quincy or Astoria?

My info comes from the USNA's Register of Alumni. I'll post a scan from the page later. Unfortunately, the Register of Alumni can sometimes be inaccurate, so I'm open to correction.

My info comes from the USNA's Register of Alumni. I'll post a scan from the page later. Unfortunately, the Register of Alumni can sometimes be inaccurate, so I'm open to correction.

Here's the scan:

post-126-1301150107.jpg

Could he have been a pilot or part of the aviation detachment that was assigned to the Vincennes, for her float planes, and thus not techincally not a member of the ship's crew, and thus not on their official ship's crew KIA list?

MW

Could he have been a pilot or part of the aviation detachment that was assigned to the Vincennes, for her float planes, and thus not techincally not a member of the ship's crew, and thus not on their official ship's crew KIA list?

MW

The lists I have include all men assigned to the ship. My friend (Vernon French) was a member of the air dept. attached to the '44 and is listed amongst the lists (he was WIA) along with the aviators.

• 3 weeks later...
Tom,

Just a follow up: Got these docs today from NHHC:

post-126-1302651889.jpg

post-126-1302651899.jpg

I can only envy you Tom, you probably have one of the best USN Heart collectrions around !!!

Dom Pastore Jr.

Tom,

Thanks for updating that. I wonder if having only being aboard a month by the sinking, if something was overlooked on the rosters. I know that Ken Ruiz (author of Luck of the Draw) reported aboard about the same time as Ensign Diirck and he is on the roster.

Nothing is perfect - not even the US Navy. ;)

I can only envy you Tom, you probably have one of the best USN Heart collectrions around !!!

Dom Pastore Jr.

No Dom.... I just show off my collection. I know of a few guys with a lot better collections. If I had theirs, I'd burn mine!! :lol:

I do, however, have this cool Rhode Island group......... :rolleyes: