• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,569
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

I wanted to get your opinion on this. I was told that this was brought back as a trophy from the Spanish American War and that the American soldier wrote his unit on the stock. Now I can believe the story except the rifle is a Remington Rolling block with what I believe is Dutch markings. There is paint marking the stock and I was wondering if anybody could help me possibly ID if this is a U.S. unit marking that the soldier would have put on it when he brought it home? The interesting part is that the rear sight is a trapdoor carbine rear sight.
Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Kevin

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

#2 fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

Closer of the Butt stock.

Attached Images

• 4.jpg
  • 3.jpg

#3 El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,215
  • 910 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

That's a nice rifle, but to paraphrase John Nance Garner, I'd suggest that 'what I was told' is worth a pitcher of warm spit.

You asked 'what you guys think'--what this guy thinks is that the value the weapon shuld be determined by its condition, and the butt markings and the tale regarded as a bit of serepindity.

*Flashback to San Juan Hill--10th Cav trooper: "Sir, Ah just took this here Rolling Block away frum this Spanish Mofo"
LTC Roosevelt: "Bully! Give it to my dogrobber. He's got a stencil which will enhance its value!"

#4 Rob P.

Rob P.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 27,313
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

What caliber is it, and can you post close ups of markings on barrel, receiver, and/or stock?

Semper Fi, Rob

#5 fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

I do realize that a story is a story, and I really do not feel it changes the value of the gun at all because there is not any hard proof of the story but I was mainly asking if anyone recognized the markings on the butt of the rifle? The saying goes that unless you took it off of the dead Spaniard yourself that the story is what it is.
Thanks for your opinion.

That's a nice rifle, but to paraphrase John Nance Garner, I'd suggest that 'what I was told' is worth a pitcher of warm spit.

You asked 'what you guys think'--what this guy thinks is that the value the weapon shuld be determined by its condition, and the butt markings and the tale regarded as a bit of serepindity.

*Flashback to San Juan Hill--10th Cav trooper: "Sir, Ah just took this here Rolling Block away frum this Spanish Mofo"
LTC Roosevelt: "Bully! Give it to my dogrobber. He's got a stencil which will enhance its value!"

#6 fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

I am sorry I forgot to post that it is 11mm.

What caliber is it, and can you post close ups of markings on barrel, receiver, and/or stock?

Semper Fi, Rob

Attached Images

• 2.jpg

#7 fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

I am sorry I forgot to post that it is 11mm.

Attached Images

• 7.jpg
  • 6.jpg

#8 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

There is paint marking the stock and I was wondering if anybody could help me possibly ID if this is a U.S. unit marking that the soldier would have put on it when he brought it home?

Hi Kevin:

I would interpret the markings as follows: 1st Squad, Company A, 1st Connecticut Volunteer Infantry.

I believe that the 1st Connecticut Infantry did indeed serve during the Span Am War but I will leave to you or others to find out if they were in a position to capture this type of rifle. I don't know much about foreign rifles of that era.

Hope that helps you. Good luck on your hunt.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#9 fredh46

fredh46
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 8,113
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

Kevin, you may want to check out this web site: http://www.spanamwar...Connecticut.htm

#10 agmohio

agmohio
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 47,796
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

The crown over RV marking is often found on older Spanish firearms and swords. It is believed to stand for "Reservado para los voluntarios" (Reserved for the Volunteers). The Volunteers were like our National Guard as opposed to the Spanish regular army. The crown RV marking was only used on weapon in Cuba. The problem, if I am not mistaken, is that the 1st. Conn. never left the US and saw no service in Cuba. I hope this helps. Bill

#11 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 16,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

This is out of my expertise, but what about Colorado Volunteer Infantry, who ended up serving in the Philippines?

http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/0826337007

#12 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
    • Member ID: 23,325
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

I would side with the 1st Connecticut. My experience in Collecting Colorado Volunteer Stuff, they like to mark thier stuff "1st Colo". It looks like a good Span-Am bring back to me. As long as the stenciling looks old and rightous I would pick it up. I think quite a few Remington Rolling blocks were brought back. If this was Colo marked I would be all over it. We're proud of our "COLO"rado Spanish name. I bet the Spaniards smirked when they first heard of the 1st Colorado.

Terry

Colorado Related Militaria Collector

#13 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

What about the 1st California Infantry? I just read that Connecticut didn't Participate. Is this located in California?

Terry

#14 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

The First California saw service in the Philippines.

#15 SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 225,108
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

NO . EXPERT    After the SAW  did not Bannerman buy HUGE amounts of Spanish captured goods.  Maybe an early mailorder

item   He also had a number of small arms taken from the USS MAINE .  He had so much ammo the City of N.Y. made him move it out of town to Bannermans Island up the Hudson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users