82nd Airborne Theater Made Patches Worn In Vietnam

seanmc1114

Was wondering if I can copy your photos & add to the 82nd ABN DIV Museum archives? I volunteer there on weekends & I know that they'd be a welcome addition to the archives & our 3rd BDE intel

Chris

manayunkman

Great post. A good friend of mine the late Charles O'Brian was with the 82nd in Vietnam and lost his leg there. Thank you for reminding me of him on this Memorial Day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

attachicon.gifPICT0003.JPG

Once again the merrowed edge body mismatch with a cut edge tab, topped by an in-country made full color LRP tab.

Note that the sergeant did not left a space between the SSI and sleeve ranks, in order to display his chevrons when sleeves are rolled up. I guess it is non regulations.

I always assumed this combo was worn by members of the 3rd Brigade's 78th Infantry Detachment before it became Company O (Ranger) 75th Infantry in February 1969. However, this photo of from the summer of 1969 shows a father and son attached to Company O wearing the Long Range Patrol scroll and not the more familiar 75th Infantry scroll usually associated with the division and brigade Ranger/LRRP patrols.

post-1761-0-20776600-1409019135.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here are some more, all from Company A 1/505th Infantry. First is an NCO wearing a blue bordered theater made patch in the jungle. This may be a velvet applique patch.

post-1761-0-63095500-1420670349.jpg

Another member of Company A wearing what appears to be a one piece velvet applique example. The beret along with a black scarf were worn by members of the 2nd Platoon of A 1/505th Infantry.

post-1761-0-51730800-1420670697.jpg

Hi Sean, great thread and pictures!!

That was wild to see the pic of then CPT Hamilton, he was by battalion CO in 2/325 from 81-84 and Grenada.

Thanks for doing this.

Alan

• 2 months later...

Trooper from Company A 1st Battalion 508th Infantry wearing some sort of theater made ammo vest with a subdued theater made 82nd SSI over the right breats and in-country U.S. Army tape, jump wings and CIB over his left breast. Note he is still wearing a full color 82nd SSI on the sleeve of his jungle jacket.

post-1761-0-26852400-1426256965.jpg

post-1761-0-68315500-1426256970.jpg

post-1761-0-21143700-1426256976.jpg

• 1 year later...

Members of B Troop 1/17th Cavalry.. Note the soldier second from right in the first picture is wearing an OG-107 fatigue shirt. Many members of the 3rd Brigade deployed to Vietnam with the fatigues they were wearing back at Fort Bragg and continued to wear them in Vietnam, in some case for several months. However, every picture of the fatigues I have seen worn in Vietnam had full color 82nd SSI. So either this guy was wearing a subdued 82nd patch back at Fort Bragg (which was very unlikely), he had a theater made 82nd SSI applied to his fatigues he deployed in after arriving in Vietnam, or, most likely, he was issued this uniform after arriving in Vietnam as the insignia appears to be identical to that worn on the jungle jacket next to him.

post-1761-0-31237700-1470055134_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-03591100-1470055151_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

post-34986-0-96619300-1488510403.jpg

Allow me to add this gem I found, a subdued Viet made 82nd as a combat patch. The sparse caption states 1st Cav Div GI in 1967, so this then must be for the DOM REP.

attachicon.gif 1967 1st cav.jpg

Allow me to add this gem I found, a subdued Viet made 82nd as a combat patch. The sparse caption states 1st Cav Div GI in 1967, so this then must be for the DOM REP.

That's a junior VC the Capt is toting, with Mama-San VC looking on.

That's a junior VC the Capt is toting, with Mama-San VC looking on.

Capt? That's a Staff Sergeant, but I see your humor :lol:

The foto is in the Central Highlands, and I found is in early 1967 with the unit being the 2nd Bn 8th Cav, so given that this unit was a Airborne unit up till August 1966, it's safe to assume he was a jump qualied NCO who was assigned to it while it was still on jump status

• 4 weeks later...

Members of the 82nd Military Police Company in the Hue/Phu Bai area which dates this between March and September 1968. Note the soldier second from right is wearing what appears to be a jungle jacket cut down with short sleeves. This was fairly common among Air Force and Navy members in Vietnam but was rare among Army soldiers. The subdued 82nd SSI appears to be theater made.

post-1761-0-28985500-1490624254_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

attachicon.gif1967 1st cav.jpg

Original caption of this picture is:

An airborne Staff Sergeant in the US Army takes a little prisoner into custody which he found during the operation held just after the New Year's cease-fire, southwest of Da Nang, Vietnam. (Photo: Keystone Pictures/Newscom)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do you think about this 82nd patch?

Looks authentic to me based on other examples I have seen.

vintageproductions

Like already discussed in another thread, the above 82nd patch is not one I would want. Very similar to Pittsenbaugher's remakes or the Southwest Series as it is known as.

smwinter207

As Bob mentioned, it's definitely not period or theatre. But I will say it is a nice placeholder for a display.

I was hoping it was the stiff material like a lot of the vietnam patches, but it's flimsy.

fyi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure about these.

The Vietnam tab one looks uniform removed.

The Recondos are U.S. madePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk