• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 relic

relic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,339
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

I have this that I know a little about, thought it was pretty interesting mounted on the m-14.
photo.JPG

#2 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,932 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

Looks like a Infa Red unit??

#3 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:33 AM

Can you get a picture of the nomenclature tag, maybe take it out of the case? That is not a passive system, it is active and pre-dates Vietnam. Probably a mid war or late Korean War.

#4 B229

B229
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,617
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

AN/PAS-4 active IR set for the M14/M21. Early 60's.

More info: http://ugca.org/07jan/night.htm

#5 para1957

para1957
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,891
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

Can you get a picture of the nomenclature tag, maybe take it out of the case? That is not a passive system, it is active and pre-dates Vietnam. Probably a mid war or late Korean War.

Hi, i have one of these units in my collection dated 1967. Strange, as i thought it was a Korean era item. Cheers. Dean.

#6 relic

relic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,339
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

9958.jpg 9956.jpg

Yip that is the one, not sure how to get it fully working. additional pics battery box is corroded, wonder if it works with out battery pack or top mounted light source?

#7 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

These scopes were the last of the active infra red systems. They were just too impractical considering that the passive night systems were becoming available, i.e. the PVS-2 systems that didn't need any extra light emitter like your system.
The fact that the battery compartment is corroded, implys that someone did not take care of it very well and therefore, I am doubtful that your system is in very good working order. You can try cleaning the contacts and see if you can get it working, but the original batteries are no longer available and thus, you would need to make an alternate battery pack for it. Once you alter the scope, you start loosing the collecability of this item. The best thing for this device, is for you to clean it up the best you can and use it for a display and not really try using it. With it's age and lack of maintenance over the years, trying to operate it on a funcitoning weapon probably wouldn't do it any good. Even if you could get the thing running, the chances of the anode being any good are very unlikely. These are delicate instruments and don't fare well to the elements, moisture, dust, heat, you name it.
Personally, if I was you, I would clean it up the best that I could, then either display it on a M-14, or sell it to someone that can display it. These are not very common, only a few thousand were made and thus collectable and worth a bit of money just for the display factor. If by a fluke, yours is fully operational with no defects, you could probably fetch a few hundred out of it, but I wouldn't get my hopes that high.
Not trying to be a pessimest here, just don't want you to get your hopes to high. Just for comparison, a PVS-2 in operational order only bring about $200 to $300 range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users