USAF patch ID? Nail Forward Air Controller Vietnam Cambodia

nguoi tien su

Good morning,

Here is a pix of a patch sewn on a Nail FAC party suit. The suit is late war (72-73).

I have no idea of what it could mean.

post-1739-1190521542.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

NTS

Good morning,

Here is a pix of a patch sewn on a Nail FAC party suit. The suit is late war (72-73).

I have no idea of what it could mean.

post-1739-1190521542.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

NTS

It could be for a "Wing Weenie"...especially if this is on a Party Suit. think.gif

It could be for a "Wing Weenie"...especially if this is on a Party Suit. think.gif

I am guessing, but I came up with the same thing. Wing Weenie would probably refer to someone who was assigned to a staff position at a Wing Headquarters rather than a line unit. It is a somewhat derisive term for someone who is a paper pusher rather than in a command or flying position. "Weenie" would be derive from Wiener, which is why this looks like a sausage or a hot dog. Where the expression came from beyond that... I'd prefer not to speculate.

One thing about Novelty patches is trying to figure out what they mean years after they were made. Sometimes even the vets themselves can't remember, but apparently they were funny at the time!

Thanks for your replies !

To add some information about the guy, he was a NAV in an OV-10 for the very small "pave nail" project. Only 15 aircrafts have been transformed and they saw extensive use at the end of the VN war and during the last days in Cambodia.

He might have had a paper work assignment at the end of the war.

Regards.

NTS

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
nguoi tien su

Wing weenie indeed. After some research, the patch was worn by a Capt. who finished his tour as Assistant Chief Operations Plan Officer (56th SOW).

Thank you for your answers!