Four Star Admiral Estate Sale

Bob Hudson

Hi, Bill. I'm currently researching the medals you mention. The seller's ad mentioned that Sharp's wife's first husband, was also an admiral and that there were some of his things for sale in the room, though it did not specify what was his. I'm hoping the numbers on the rim check out.

Hi, Bill. I'm currently researching the medals you mention. The seller's ad mentioned that Sharp's wife's first husband, was also an admiral and that there were some of his things for sale in the room, though it did not specify what was his. I'm hoping the numbers on the rim check out.

That fore-and-aft hat was his.

This is an Aussie military coat with his name in it:

aussiecoat.jpg

A nice large patch:

gemsco.jpg

You asked Owen about the Aussie Raincoat...

Obviously from the date it is Vietnam Era... These were superior to the US raingear of the time as they were lighter, durable, and vented so that you did not get moisture buildup underneath. The Australians, having more experience with that part of the world, simply had a better product in their supply chain. A lot of Americans bought or bartered for them. They show up in the US market as a bring back every now and then. I have no idea what they currently go for, but I always liked them. And they are camouflaged!

After working an 18 hour day, I drove 2 hours from LA yesterday, just to get on the list for this morning. I drove back to LA to work another 20 hours and then drove back just to make it in time for the tickets, so my few items were hard earned and well paid for. No need to be jealous of that.

After working an 18 hour day, I drove 2 hours from LA yesterday, just to get on the list for this morning. I drove back to LA to work another 20 hours and then drove back just to make it in time for the tickets, so my few items were hard earned and well paid for. No need to be jealous of that.

For those who don't know: that drive was what, 2.5 to 3 hours each way? And you had to be in line, what, two hours before opening and then wait what until your number came up?

My wife wanted me to do that, but I told I'm not young enough for that :)

You asked Owen about the Aussie Raincoat...

Obviously from the date it is Vietnam Era... These were superior to the US raingear of the time as they were lighter, durable, and vented so that you did not get moisture buildup underneath. The Australians, having more experience with that part of the world, simply had a better product in their supply chain. A lot of Americans bought or bartered for them. They show up in the US market as a bring back every now and then. I have no idea what they currently go for, but I always liked them. And they are camouflaged!

Thanks - it looks like they called it two-color camo. This is probably the only one that ended up in the closet of a 4-start admiral. Wonder if he got it in Vietnam?

I've been trying to find a photo of him wearing the cotton sateen shirt: found this one of him in-country, but it's none-too-sharp (pun intended):

sharpinnam1.jpg

Yeah, that's about it. I tried not to think about it. :blink: Traffic between LA and SD has gotten really bad over the last 5-6 years, but it was worth just seeing it. Again, it broke my heart to see it go every which way. Everything had his name on it!! Did you see the original painting in the hall depicting him as a knight on a horse lancing all the hats he wore during his career? It was really cool. It seemed to reference his service under Johnson. :w00t:

That would be RAdm Ernest Blake USNA Class of 1927,

Bill

SEABEEBRIAN

Just like Dave, I am drooling all over the keyboard. I wish I had known about this a few days ago, I would have gone up there.

This notebook with Adm Sharp's handwritten label is quite an interesting piece of history: a lecture he gave on the Vietnam War while the war was still ongoing.

Here's the first few pages of the notebook and a few very interesting ones stuck in the back:

speech1.jpg

speech2.jpg

speech3.jpg

speech4.jpg

SEABEEBRIAN

The Executive Aide to CINCPAC is listed as CAPT Rembrant Robinson. He was the only navy flag officer to be killed in Vietnam.

I picked up some documents today:

post-214-1299360325.jpg

post-214-1299360332.jpg

The Executive Aide to CINCPAC is listed as CAPT Rembrant Robinson. He was the only navy flag officer to be killed in Vietnam.

Yep, and he was on his way up. This was after his multiple collisions at sea that were "overlooked". USG Sharp was his "mentor", and they were very, very close. My father in law was one of his department heads when Robinson was a Commander...

Kurt Barickman

Being a "hard core" sea service collector, I continually have envy for those of you who live in the CA :thumbsup: Nice job.

Kurt Barickman

History Man

If I had known that was happening I would have been there. I live in LA and you are correct a lot of Naval items are here. I had no luck today unlike you. Oh well, guess I will try tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Great Finds :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

We all knew it wouldn't take long. :rolleyes:

FS, you still got some nice items and I am so glad I live in the mid-west, it kept that 5 hour standing in line thing in perspective and there is no temptation when you live this far away.

It will be interesting to see what shows up: there were some reasonable prices but it was still too easy to go into four figures :rolleyes: so most buyers probably walked away with an item or two as seen in that ebay listing.

I know there are a couple of nervous buyers who spent even more than I did on the foreign medals received by Admiral Sharp. Since these were given to a US officer, we can show them here:

Here's the Taiwan (previously Nationalist China) Order of Clouds and Banner, sometimes called The Order of the Resplendent Banner, awarded for contributions to national security. This is the highest grade: 1st Class with Special Grand Cordon:

chinaorder.jpg

National Order of Vietnam, Grand Officer (2nd highest level):

namorder.jpg

I think this one is Braziian:

ukorder.jpg

SEABEEBRIAN
Yep, and he was on his way up. This was after his multiple collisions at sea that were "overlooked". USG Sharp was his "mentor", and they were very, very close. My father in law was one of his department heads when Robinson was a Commander...

The bowling alley here at Navsta San Diego is named after him. I will post a picture of his portrait tomorrow.

down here in florida there are alot of estate sales considering florida is gods waiting room bu there usaly fixed prices and at the end of the sale its goes half off

Acquired more today from the estate:

plaque_marine_name.jpg

The inscriptions and backs of the Marine plaques - notice Lew Walt's handwritten note on the back of the one:

plaque_marine_amphib.jpg

plaque_marine_amphib_back.jpg