Battleground

Justin

By far the best war movie. They told the story without all the gore, special effects etc. yet they caught the fear, misery and cost of war amazingly well. Think about how cold it feels watching that film. Think about how it showed the way replacements felt coming into a veteran unit while not condemning the surviving guys for thier unwillingness to get close to guys they knew would probably die. Think about the shot at the supply system with Kinny in boots wrapped in rags and the big guy dying in socks cause he had no overshoes and his boots needed to dry. Think about the same guy sliding back into that hole calling for his mom. Think about how the battle fatigue guy wasn't shunned when he just couldn't do it anymore and how he paid the ultimate price anyway.

I know we praise the more recent movies and how they show us more graphically how war looks, but if you pay attention to the story, Battleground does that as well or better.

According to Mark Bando's site, a number of 101st vets were extras and some of the uniforms and gear were thiers.

I prefer the oldies much better than the current war movies, the new movies have too much CGI , almost like watching a video game

some of my favourite old B & W movies are: All Quiet on The Western Front, Objective Burma, Destination Tokyo

Charlie Flick

Most people don't pay much attention to movie credits. If you watch the credits on Battleground you will see that the Technical Advisor was Lt. Col. Harry Kinnard of the 101AB. I'd say that moviegoers got their money's worth as the technical aspects of the film (for 1949) are excellent and, frankly, today compare very favorably to other films that had bigger budgets.

Regards,

Charlie

I'd read somewhere that the ending scene (where the tanks come in and they march off) was filmed at Fort Lewis, but have never actually seen any hard data on that point. Does anyone have anything on exactly where that was? It very rarely ever snows around there, so I have been doubtful of that for a while now...

Charlie Flick

Good stuff, Johan. Thanks for posting those Battleground items.

Lee: The film is widely reported to have been filmed on the MGM lot, as well as at sites in California, Oregon and Washington. Wikipedia (and I'm not vouching for it as a reliable source on this) does state that there was filming done at Fort Lewis.

Regards,

Charlie

Some great images there Johan, thanks for posting them.

That Snow, probably was crushed/pulverized asbestos, asbestos was used a lot for fake snow in Hollywood in them days.

The snow was real in several scenes, you can see it melting on stuff as it falls in throughout the movie. My Dad remembers reading something about the filming of the movie, how they used machines to create indoor snow for those scenes.

That's not to say that there couldn't have been fake non-cold stuff standing in for some snow on the set, but you can see real frozen stuff coming down on the actors in plenty of scenes.

Charlie Flick

Gen McAuliffe at the movie premiere in DC...

Good pic. That is George Murphy (Pop Stazak) on the left, John Hodiak (Don Jarvess), Mr. X, Denise Darcel (Denise) and the General.

It is not widely remembered today but George Murphy, after a long and successful Hollywood career, went into politics and was elected as US Senator for the state of California in 1965. He served one term.

Regards,

Charlie

Hello all -

Love this discussion, I posted on it a few years back.

In the beginning marching scene you can see typical US Army style barracks way off in the background. I always figured it was Ft. Lewis or perhaps Ft. Ord? Note there is no snow on the ground in that scene. Also note that most of the actors are dressed nothing heavier than the M43 jackets and pants - I am sure it was warm - also, can't see their breath when they talk - "Carrant dooze swasont deece".

I met Van Johnson and talked to him in 1994 at Ft. Story D-Day event - He said the producers bought up every freezer in LA to stick in the soundstage for the winter scenes.

Also, many of the helmets used in the movie later show up in episodes of Combat! You can see the faint outlines of the clubs in many scenes.

Very best,

Bill K.

• 2 weeks later...

I got that Jody call cadence, written down. Gave it to our NCO'S but there are not allowed to call then anymore. This is a different Army than when I was in.

New NCO'S love them.

SARG ! You ain't got nothing to worrie about ! Soldiers say ! Jody will keep them happy, until I get out!

• 6 months later...