Battleground

Justin

Very good movie about the 101st in Bostonge, it was made in 1949 and is a black and white film, but its very clear and cleanly shot. The gear, uniform and helmet's look very authentic, I wonder why :w00t:

Helmet lovers you're going to droll over the helmets, I couldn't keep my eyes off them. :lol:

Mine too!...i recently picked it up on DVD!......you are right, great helmet shots and lots of real 101st vets were used as extras in the movie!....mike

Watched it yesterday. I had recorded it over Vets weekend on TCM along with everything else showing that weekend. It is a great movie

Chunky Monkey

Anyone know when this is going to be on again? I have directv and did a search and it did not come up. :blink:

Thats one of my favorite movies too.

I have it on DVD, and every time it comes on the TV, i have to watch it.

Check the Turner Classic Movie Schedule, they are the ones that play it.

craig_pickrall
Anyone know when this is going to be on again? I have directv and did a search and it did not come up. :blink:

If you have Netflix it is one of the instant download movies. That is the original B/W version. This movie is also available in a colorized version done about 20 years ago by Turner.

As a Kid in the 70's My Father told me this was the most realistic War Movie ever made. He said the little details like collecting the leaflets for Toilet paper, and checking your bolts sop they dont freeze, the look of exhaustion

Garandomatic

They even went so far as to include an African American outfit that was trapped in bastogne along with the 101st. I looked it up once, forget the unit, but they were there. Thought that was a good thing they did to include them.

Josh

This movie is definitely in the top 5 of my all time war movies. I forget where I saw or read it but, James Whitmore based his character off of Bill Mauldin's Willie & Joe cartoons. Look at the cartoon and then at Sgt. Kinnie once they are in combat, mirror image.

TrenchfootJoe66

Absolutley one of my all time favs. A classic. Its in my top three. The other two are "Stalag 17" and "Bridge over the River Kwai".

RustyCanteen

Good movie.

They did a good job with the "snow" for such an old movie. Kept it pretty realistic compared to many '40s war film.

Good movie.

They did a good job with the "snow" for such an old movie. Kept it pretty realistic compared to many '40s war film.

I think I remember reading that it was filmed in a refrigerated sound stage with real snow brought in. Always one of my favorite war movies. A Korean War vet I worked with said it was his favorite because the M1's sounded real.

pararaftanr2

Hi all,

A truly classic war film. I've always appreciated the attention to detail in the movie. Some examples that come to mind are the new replacements using M1943 packs, while the vets have musette bags. Throwing away their light weight gas masks (but keeping the bags) as they moved to the front. Sgt. Kinnie using a blanket pin to replace the missing top button on his mackinaw. Every time I watch it I catch something new. Best regards, Paul

I love this movie and watch it every time it comes on. My dad told me once that he saw it at a theatre after the war and suddenly realized "I know that guy"...meaning James Whitmore. Turns out my dad served under Lt. Whitmore, USMC, for awhile during WW2.

Two reasons why this movie was so well done are the director, William Wellman, who served in WWI with the Lafayette Flying Corps, and the screen writer/producer, Robert Pirosh, who served in the 320th Infantry, 35th Division during WWII...including the relief of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. It certainly helps to tell a story when you've experienced similar things yourself.