How to research WW2 vets

History Man

Hey. I havent had much luck in this field. I am trying to locate a couple of vets but cant find a site to help. Please post a sitet that would help me locate these soldiers. thanks

WW2 - Vietnam USN Servicemen.

I found a pair of WW2 USN dogtags today and wanted to research the name.

NAME: John Herbert Perkins

SERVICE # : 562-18-97

Date of Enlistment: 10/42

BRANCH: USNR

BLOOD TYPE: A

RELIGION: C

I have a few more dogtags laying around and some named uniforms, but i guess when someone posts a website for this name I can find the others. I will post pics of them in the Latest Finds and Acquisitions if you want to see them. thanks for any help and info.

I am looking for pictures, rank, medals/ribbons earned, ship he served on, and anything to help me put a uniform together for him. thanks

Just got a PM from Maine4n6. His medal is on ebay! I just contacted the seller so hopefully he will do something for me. thanks for the info. ill keep you posted on what happens.

I am not having any luck finding people. I tried the National Archives but alas found nothing for the navy vets. can someone post a site that can give me some info on WW2 US navy vets. thanks

History Man

I am in desperate need to find this guy. Can someone please help me find him? I am looking for his rank, where he served, when he served, the ship he served on, any records of him, medals and decorations he earned, and any other info you can locate. thanks and I hope someoe can find it. thanks for any info and comments

NAME: John Herbert Perkins

Social or Service #: 563 - 18 - 97

Date of Enlistment: T. 10/42

BRANCH: USNR

BLOOD TYPE: A

RELIGION: Christian

Im sure there is more than one John H. Perkins, but here is one listed from Hamilton, Mass.

http://www.hamiltonma.gov/Pages/HamiltonMA...wiiveterans.pdf

Do you know where he lived? This might be somewhere to at least give a brief look.

Also his Navy GC medal is here

http://militarywired.com/library/Named-and...and-Decorations

And an obit for a Navy serving John H Perkins

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/sto...09/perkins.html

Is this him? Maybe...?

History Man

Is there any site that can give me information on him like the medals he was awarded, his rank, and anything on his service. I am getting his GCM off of an ebay seller from that area. All I know is what is written on the dogtags. Is there a site that can give me information based on the name or service #. I tried the NARA but turned up with nothing. sorry for making this so difficult. thanks

Does anyone know how I can locate a service number for a Navy vet that retired in 1967, after 25 years service ?

History Man

I dont have the needed info. It needs the date of birth, Socail Security, date of discharge, etc. i only have the info that i posted. I dont understand, I see people on this site that just find the uniform and the next day they have a lot of info on him. thanks for any help.

Use what info you have. Having his service number will help you.

I dont have the needed info. It needs the date of birth, Socail Security, date of discharge, etc. i only have the info that i posted. I dont understand, I see people on this site that just find the uniform and the next day they have a lot of info on him. thanks for any help.

History Man

Well, i did the eVetRecs service form. I am not going to do it as I may face a fine for I am in no way related to him. Is there another way that doesnt take 6 months or 12 weeks? I am just trying to put a uniform together for him. thanks

History Man

Never mind. I sent the request in and I am going to recieve his records in about 5 to 10 days. sorry for making this such a hassle for you all but it is my first time doing this. when i get the service records I will post them on this thread for you guys to see. thanks again :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All right History Man...

Here's some advice for you. I know you're very much desiring to get some information on your guy, but take a deep breath and slow down.

First, understand that the keys to research are generally patience, thoroughness, and persistence. It may take you months, MONTHS to get the information that you may want. Heck, there are some times you may NEVER get what you want.

I see by your threads that you are collecting various things, your signature says so. It sounds as if you want to start researching things too, its hard to not do so once you start seeing what sort of great info you can get.

The first thing you need to do is to go to the Research thread right here on this various forum. Take several hours, yes HOURS, and read the pinned threads and learn from them. Then read people's topics and posts about research; you'll learn even more there.

You can find that all here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=88

The next thing you need to do is learn how to do your own research. YOURSELF. And AFTER you spend a lot of time reading the Research section threads. Yes, there are people here on the Forum who can find lots of great info. Often their sources have come at a lot of personal expense (i.e. their hard earned $$$), with a lot of time spent learning what is out there and how to access it, etc. And yes, sometimes they will help you too. But understand that that help takes THEIR time away from things they could be doing other than your research, so any help anone gives you is a gift of their time, and thus hard to quantify, but their own time to help you nonetheless. So if people help you, that's awesome, if not, that's fine too. No one here is obligated to helping you learn and do your own research work. Complaining about others not helping you is most certainly not going to help you in the long run either. For starters, your thread is in a terrible place to attract any help in the first place. Realize too that most of the time detailed research on people, as noted or quoted or referred to here on the Forum, is info that people have gotten by paying the $$$ and simply waiting, filing multiple requets, etc. There is some great info out there, and for free too, but there is also a certain amount that only comes from sending in records requests and paying for the info, paying a researcher to do it for you, or going to the records places yourself, whether they are

local to you or across the county.

With that said, good luck with your search, learn what it takes to do the research yourself, you'll be much better served in the long run, and above all, have some patience! The info will come in time.

MW

History Man

I understand. I got the email from eVetRecs and they said that it is going to take 6 more days for the info to come. thanks for all that have helped me and given me the tools to do research as i am new to this. i will post all of the info i get on this thread for you to see :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

History Man

i sent the info into the archives and i just recieved a letter saying they could not find anyone by this name. is there anything i can do? thanks :blink: :think:

i sent the info into the archives and i just recieved a letter saying they could not find anyone by this name. is there anything i can do? thanks :blink: :think:

Was it they can't find a service member by that name, or they can't find his records?

You can always resubmit your SF-180 request and keep trying to get his records. Or, he could just be one of those ones you'll never get any data on. That happens...

Dave