• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,647
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

Not exactly sure what this is called, or its true purpose. Am assuming it is part of a parachute harness, as there is a lowering line with it? Thanks, Hoov

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/BraveRifles85/Tradeand2ebay/ddebf481.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/BraveRifles85/Tradeand2ebay/ae22f367.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/BraveRifles85/Tradeand2ebay/af2ef2aa.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/BraveRifles85/Tradeand2ebay/d49dba3a.jpg

#2 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

And before you ask, the floor is my garage, with the old throw rug I have down. It is not my house proper :lol: :lol:

#3 Sgt. Boghots

Sgt. Boghots
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,057
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

And before you ask, the floor is my garage, with the old throw rug I have down. It is not my house proper :lol: :lol:

Out here in Oregon, we're just now getting carpet. Looks fine to me !! - "Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness" (The Duke)

:thumbsup:

Best regards,
Paul

#4 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Out here in Oregon, we're just now getting carpet. Looks fine to me !! - "Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness" (The Duke)

:thumbsup:

Best regards,
Paul

No apologizing. Just stating a couple facts...1. My house is much more presentable, as I am partially OCD with it. 2. It's PINK, and I don't care what some folks say about that color and it taking real men to use it. And as far as I am concerned, that doesn't apply to carpets in the house to begin with!! Garages are fine, because all the oil, grease, paint, and sundry other petroleum products eventually alter the color :lol: :lol:

Edited by HoovieDude, 25 February 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#5 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,921 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hoov
Ya gotta like carpet in the garage no matter what the color!!!! :thumbsup:

RD

#6 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

Starting to feel like we are having a manhug session. Where is that Ex-DI phsycologist when you need one? Maybe he is waiting for us at mambypamby land? :laughing1:

Now, could someone help me out with the items in question, please?

#7 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,921 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

Starting to feel like we are having a manhug session. Where is that Ex-DI phsycologist when you need one? Maybe he is waiting for us at mambypamby land? :laughing1:

Ok.....

Not a paratrooper but it sure looks like something for the rucksack/pack.

#8 Sgt. Boghots

Sgt. Boghots
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

Sorry buddy, but afraid in this case my expertise is limited to the carpet.

Afraid we'll have to call in the counselers . . . :thumbsup:

Back during my time, they were just figuring out the beginnings of sensivity training. We had "UPWARD" seminars. Understanding Personal Worth And Racial Dignity. - For the most part, we all left those giving each other a group hug because they were over !!

As to your harness, I'll be curious to see if anybody identifies it too. It's a nice find :thumbsup:

Best regards,
Paul

#9 Sgt. Boghots

Sgt. Boghots
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

Ok.....

Not a paratrooper but it sure looks like something for the rucksack/pack.

Are we sure that couldn't be a let-down for a rifle bag ? - The way its tidied up in that sleeve makes me think of that . . .

Paul

#10 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

Maybe a rapelling harness of some sort... straps look a little narrow for a parachute harness...

Wayne

#11 paul_bish

paul_bish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,586
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

looks like the later version of the H Harness for carrying your rucksack while jumping. Here are some pictures of the Vietnam era one

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also uploaded the parachute manual which should tell you all you need, the harness you have posted is called the HARNESS, SINGLE-POINT RELEASE, the HSPR is an H-type design.

http://www.modernfor...M3_21X220-1.pdf

Hope that helps

#12 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

Excellent Paul, thanks!

#13 treetop

treetop
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,440
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

It's a later model equipment harness with quick release allowing the paratrooper to lower his rucksack before landing. Also pictured is a lowering line folded into a velcro closed envelope also with quick release. It attaches to the jumpers harness and to the rucksack.

#14 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

It's an HSPR (Harness Single Point Release) NSN: 1670-01-227-7992

You also have the Lowering Line NSN: 1670-01-067-6838

#15 airborne1968

airborne1968
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,228
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

looks like the later version of the H Harness for carrying your rucksack while jumping. Here are some pictures of the Vietnam era one

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also uploaded the parachute manual which should tell you all you need, the harness you have posted is called the HARNESS, SINGLE-POINT RELEASE, the HSPR is an H-type design.

http://www.modernfor...M3_21X220-1.pdf

Hope that helps

The H-harness you have pictured on the poncho line is also a post Vietnam version as it has the extra length sewn on to each of the free runnin ends. The originals were shorted because the rucks and kits bags weren'r that large and for large items tey use s WECI (or WISE or PICE) bag, which is huge extending from the ground to your waist. The extended version was to accomidate the large ALICE rucksack. We used the extended version into the early 1990s in the 82nd and swtched over to the single point by the mid 90s. Also the lowering line during the Vietnam era was constructed of cotton duck with a factory installed section of "bungi cord, tied and taped at the fastening point.

Pictured is a livinghistorian at the AA Week museum with the 82nd ABN DIV. This is the WISE bag it's puttogether with 2 separte parts anda lowering (at his side, note bungi) This bags are every where but never found together. Bags also come with nylon straps and are nam dated.

Attached Images

• 118___Copy.JPG

#16 airborne1968

airborne1968
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:34 AM

Here's a close up.

Attached Images

• 041___Copy.JPG

#17 SKIPH

SKIPH

FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 7,773
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

You've got the modern version of the "H" harness for jumping w/ the rucksack. I like the picks airborne1968 added of the "CEIW" bag. For those of you who never got the opportunity to jump one---you're lucky! SKIP

#18 airborne1968

airborne1968
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

You've got the modern version of the "H" harness for jumping w/ the rucksack. I like the picks airborne1968 added of the "CEIW" bag. For those of you who never got the opportunity to jump one---you're lucky! SKIP

Skip,
Just trying to show off a nearly lost part of airborne history. I'm glad I never had to jump one. The canvas jump case and harness alone is 20lbs and thats before you start to put anything into it (ie M56 LBE with ammo and water, Etool, C rats by the case, how about a radio and the extra batteries?) It's gonna hurt when you land!
Here' to the Paratroopers of the 50s, 60s, and 70s!

#19 SKIPH

SKIPH

FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 7,773
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

airborne1968- You're lucky too! I'm 5'7", in the unit I never had to jump one,-too short, need taller guys. But, in jumpmaster school we all had 1 or 2 turns. They made us pack them, 2x wooden 105mm boxes, filled with sand. Then we rigged, and were graded by the Black Hats. That night while a buddy got the opportunity to be evaluated as a J/M you were the guy in the door. It always seemed like they parked the A/C at the other end of POPE AFB. Now I'm lugging 50lbs of parachutes, plus equipment, and sharing the weight of the CEIW bag w/ my assigned J/M. Get on the plane, rig the bag and take-off. Six minutes out J/M goes through his procedures I finally get to stand in the door. Green light! I have to put the CEIW on top of my feet to, get out the door. Then literally ride on top of it, until opening shock, which is very hard. Checked canopy and prepare to land. Two hundred ft up, turn the big red ball to release it. Bag drops 20ft, w/ a brutal opening shock on my harness. Seconds later, boom, hit the ground. Everything is OK! Now to get to the other end of Sicily DZ. At this point I rolled and packed my chute, hooked up the reserve and threw it over my head. It was impossible to carry the CEIW bag, and we couldn't empty the sand or contents. I dragged that anchor up the DZ to the turn in point. Keep in mind only 4 guys jumped per pass, so we're all over the 4x1 mile DZ, and it's dark. That was May 1977. Still hate those bags! SKIP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users