Studio Photos

DutchInfid3l

• 3 weeks later...

Major General John B. Brooks

Photo is of Major General John Bernard Brooks, (1891-1975) Retired in 1946
One of the last of the U.S. Cavalry officers and among the first to fly in the military service.

Written to Lt. Colonel Waddell Francisco Smith (1900-1970) USAF Ret.

What are those wings the guy on the right is wearing??

Yeah, it does look weird. Like an arch. But it's just the way the Good Conduct ribbon is placed under the aircrew wings... the wings are overlapping it.

post-22-0-67614300-1401636021.jpg

Early Army Air Corps Officer with French Croix de guerre and WW1 victory ribbon with devices. Embroidered wings.
Can't make out the name, dated 1935

Okay, I've been trying to figure out WHO this guy is, the signature isn't that great. BUT from the other photo of Gen. Brooks (both these photos are addressed to Waddell Smith) HE was one of the first flyers so I've run across a site (here) that shows all the early pioneers of flight and there are two men with the last names starting with GOO...a Lewis E Goodier and a Frank W Goodale.
Now looking them both up and at the signature I think Goodier is the better bet. You can see the E in the middle of the signature. and I've run across a photo of his dad

and he damn near looks like the same guy, but older, obviously.

What do you think?

post-22-0-93478300-1401636064.jpg

...What do you think?

A late life portrait of Lewis E. Goodier, Jr., has long eluded the experts at the excellent thread “The Original 24 Military Aviators - Photographs.” So far, they have not come up with a picture of him taken much later than about 1915. Post your picture there. If this is Maj. (or Lt. Col) Goodier, Jr., they shall be very happy to see him.

Croix de Guerre

Identified, Upton Sinclair Nordstrom.
From what I can find out he enlisted in 1942... died on Oct. 1 1951. At 30 years old.
Don't know if he did photography in the Army but he did before he went in. Sent off for records, we'll see...

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Upton Nordstrom
Home in 1930: La Crosse, La Crosse, Wisconsin
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1921
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Amid F Nordstrom
Mother's Name: Louise Nordstrom
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Amid F Nordstrom 35
Louise Nordstrom 34
Upton Nordstrom 9

Rally,

Looks like he got a hold of a pre 1941 rating badge. Nice photo!

Jason

Jason,

I believe that I have this uniform...I need to drag it out from the closet to confirm the rating badge.

Jason,

I believe that I have this uniform...I need to drag it out from the closet to confirm the rating badge.

I do have this and one other dress blues set (the other is a tailor-made set). I need to put his group together and shoot it. Dang...I need to do that with a lot of my collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A nice photo of a then Major General Henry Harley "Hap" Arnold
With both styles of Aviator Badge and Pilot wing and the Distinguished Flying Cross and WW1 Victory Ribbons.
Marked Released by Administration Division, Official Army Air Corps Photo on reverse.

post-22-0-31574200-1401636365.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
DutchInfid3l

These both came from the same seller, who said they came from the same estate... Col. Floyd M. Johnson, Sewart AFB
I don't know if one of these men is that Colonel.
First up, a 14th AF Flight Surgeon

Senior pilot with SSI

post-22-0-53062600-1401636438.jpg

post-22-0-55246900-1401636440.jpg

...Col. Floyd M. Johnson, Sewart AFB...

The colonel is more likely to be Col. Floyd M. Johnson, as a colonel by that name was base commander of Pepperrell AFB, Newfoundland, in June 1956 (St. John’s Daily News, June 30, 1956). It is not likely that a flight surgeon (or even an ex-flight surgeon) would have been a base commander in those times. Note also that the colonel’s partial SSI might have been First Air Force, as Stewart AFB, N.Y., was under First Air Force command ca. 1950s.

• 3 weeks later...
bunkerhillburning

My Grandfather David Major. Did not know him very well, don't know much about his service record either. RIP

post-64023-1334257774.jpg

post-64023-1334257828.jpg

bunkerhillburning

My Great, Great ( ?) Grandfather. Full plate tintype. Have been told the man served with the New York National Guard as a music band member. Not a clue. He looks exactly like my uncle - dead ringer.

post-64023-1334258040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...