Wonderful WWI USMC Trench Art on Shell

Brig

I agree Brig. Whether it was made in the trenches, or on board a ship it is a work of art indeed.

Some of these guys were amazing. Makes you wonder what they became after the war??

Now that is a gorgeous piece of trench art!

I'd heard that a lot of the higher-quality trench art items seen were actually made by local French and German artisans using battlefield rubbish and sold as souvenirs to the troops on occupation duty.

I'd heard that a lot of the higher-quality trench art items seen were actually made by local French and German artisans using battlefield rubbish and sold as souvenirs to the troops on occupation duty.

I believe it...I remember reading Walt Disney would paint helmets himself with camo schemes and sell them to the troops because he knew the painted were much more sought after during the war

It's true. An example, I believe Harry S. Truman (129th FA, 35th Infantry Div.) purchased a "trench art" vase made by one of the enterprising Frenchmen after the armistice, and some of the men in the units did the same making or painting helmets for other guys with less time or talent.

You could buy them "customized" for your unit as well.

Interesting piece.

Very nice :thumbsup:

And enterprising free-market sorts carried it over to WW2, though my personal favorites were from WW1.

Best regards,

Paul

• 1 month later...