Desert Storm 20th anniversary year

willysmb44

On February 24, 1991, Allied forces moved into Iraq and Kuwait, starting the ground war of Desert Storm.

To that end, I have formed a living history group dedicated to the veterans of this war. We'll be displaying the vehicles, uniforms, weapons and equipment of America's quickest (and perhaps most decisive) mechanized campaign.

There are only three of us right now but are looking to gather a few more. The current plan is for events in 2011 only. If it goes over very well, we might continue.

More to come on our site: http://desertstorm20th.webs.com/index.htm

DSlayout.jpg

DSflag.jpg

• 2 months later...
willysmb44

We've gotten the group going. and plan on having at least 4 people and likely 2-3 vehicles for the Armed Forces Day at Joint Base Lewis-MChord. We plan on getting lots of photos with correct vehicles, including some Iraqi armor on the post after the event is over with. If you're in the area and attending, please come by and say hello!

Click here to see some photos so far.

Shield-Storm.jpg

You may want to double check the "issue" sunglasses. I know many of my buddies in the infantry were pissed because we as crew chiefs were issued them BUT the infantry types were not.

Scott

willysmb44
You may want to double check the "issue" sunglasses. I know many of my buddies in the infantry were pissed because we as crew chiefs were issued them BUT the infantry types were not.
Like any conflict, what was issued varied greatly from unit to unit. I have many publications written before the ground war started and have well documented sunglasses lenses in “BCG” frames used in Desert Shield, and have confirmed their use with veterans. I served with several people who had their BCG sunglasses who said they had them since the Gulf War (which wouldn’t have been too long before at the time). I also remember a friend of mine who had ridiculously poor eyesight going to Saudi with them in 1990, griping about how he couldn’t afford better looking shades. I remember specifically giving him grief over how ugly they were. However, many soldiers didn’t want to wear them because they were pretty ugly, even then. People who didn’t need glasses usually bought and wore “cool looking” shades from any source they could find. The irony is that I too wore the BCG sunglasses years later when I decided to go active duty (mainly because if I broke them in the field, the Army would pay for a new set). I’m wearing my issued ones in that photo.

me and a friend of mine do desert storm down here in central florida anytime you come down here let me know

post-20584-1305849659.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

00315.jpg

Sorry for the huge pic.

I don't have on my PASGT or anything special, but here is my basic set up. Still needs work, but I am to busy for another research project at the time.

Tyler

willysmb44

Just got back from Armed Forces Day. Got some good backgrounds but sadly all with trees (you just can't simulate Kuwait in Western Washington). The tank was an Iraqi one, captured by a Fort Lewis unit in 1991, we got that shot as we were leaving. It rained off and on but all in all, a good time was had by all!

A lot of people just didn't know enough about the DS era to know how to react to us, but we got a lot of favorable response and nothing negative. Here are some shots we got today...

Ed, Me and Pete at the display as we got our gear on. We didn't get a shot with the tent, wish I had now:

AFDgroup.jpg

Me with one of the better DS era vehicles, a M-50 (I think) water tanker in DS markings:

LeeTankTrucks.jpg

Ed and I with an Iraqi Type 59:

Tanks.jpg

You guys have me checking through my gear, I have most of it...including an AR-15 building just for it.

T-Bone

Shreveport, LA

My Desert Storm remembrances. It seems 20 years have not softened them all that much.

Top is me with Gerald McRainey at King Fahd Airfield about Oct 90. Middle is a picture I took standing on the berm at 1st MEF on D-1. Bottom is a HUMVEE that hit a mine on D-day.

post-1107-1306191694.jpg

post-1107-1306191700.jpg

post-1107-1306191710.jpg

Top; me early on D-day

2nd; Me on the radio in my Humvee, D+1; 2 fresh new holes in the left rear window

3rd; Iraqi T-55 brewing up

4th; Destroyed Iraqi T-54

post-1107-1306191907.jpg

post-1107-1306191913.jpg

post-1107-1306191918.jpg

post-1107-1306191924.jpg

Top; Another brewed-up Iraqi tank

Milddle and bottom; Two views of the "highway of death" on Mutlaa Ridge.

post-1107-1306192137.jpg

post-1107-1306192141.jpg

post-1107-1306192147.jpg

The cost of war

Top; Wounded Marine being helped back to the aid station

Middle; Dust-off

Bottom; Tagging and bagging Iraqi casualties

post-1107-1306192288.jpg

post-1107-1306192293.jpg

post-1107-1306192298.jpg

Three shots of what Hell probably looks like. Top and middle are burning Kuwaiti oil wells. Bottom is a picture of the Kuwait City skyline taken about 1500 on the day after the city was recaptured.

post-1107-1306192732.jpg

post-1107-1306192776.jpg

post-1107-1306192766.jpg

The Meatcan

Bill - thanks for posting and sharing some of your photos and memories for us. It's always fascinating hearing and seeing this info directly from someone who was there. Thanks for your service, sir! :thumbsup:

Terry

Bill - thanks for posting and sharing some of your photos and memories for us. It's always fascinating hearing and seeing this info directly from someone who was there. Thanks for your service, sir! :thumbsup:

Terry

You're quite welcome. Thank you for the kind words but no thanks necessary for my service; it was my honor and privilege to serve my country.

Bill, could I post these on our group's website under original photos?

As long as they are properly used and not further disseminated, I don't mind. Thanks for asking.