INTERESTING USMC RIBBON BAR

cpatrick

From my personal collection. I've always wondered about this ribbon bar. It is the wide bars that are associated with the United States Marine Corps & Navy. I find it very interesting that the soldier who owned this has a WWI victory bar with his PTO & Philippine Liberation Medal. I had always assumed that this was likely this soldier's "war-time" bar, that he had worn prior to the surrender of the Empire of Japan. (Hence no WWII victory bar) Either way, this guy had seen quite a bit of action, which leads an imaginative mind to wonder - did he make it through the war to be awarded the WWII Victory Medal?? It's also interesting to note that this bar was purchased a long time ago with a set of iron knuckles and some other odd's and ends named to a soldier in the 33rd ID. I remember that I had passed on a photo of the soldier being decorated with the SS - they wanted $100 for the pic, which was a little high. Likely no 33rd ID attribution, but it is still part of it's history.

Also, is it certain that this is a USMC bar, or could it be Navy? Does the PLM excude the Naval possibility?

Opinions on this would be great!!

Thanks!

Chris

post-548-1190312352.jpg

Thanks Stephan!

After I had made this post, it did occur to me that this could have belonged to the soldier in the 33rd, which was indeed an Army division.

Whichever the case, would it make sense that these were his "war-time" bars? I have it written down, but not infront of me, but he was an officer, I believe a 2nd Lt.

Chris

This is indeed the Navy/Marine style of bar, but as has been stated, they were also worn by some Army personel. The PLM was very common to the Navy, but only a few Marine units would have been eligible for it.

The correct wear of the ribbon would be the ww1 victory starting on the left, then the Pacific and lastly the PLM.

WW2 ribbon bars are commonly a mystery as to what was being worn and what the individual may or may not have been entitled to.

The PLM was not widely available until 1946, but is often seen when ribbons for the ww2 victory or American campaign etc. are missing.

I am sure that whoever wore this bar in question was entitled to both the aformentioned ribbons, but for some reason or other did not wear them.

This bar, as are the vast majority, was worn after the war had ended when the soldier returned home.

CB