"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Bought it on Blu-ray.......I've watched the first three episodes so far. I was able to see bits and pieces of the series on tv, but not nearly enough.

The Guadalcanal battle scenes were intense......and Blu-ray makes it even better. Crank up the sound and take it all in.

It might not be perfect, but I'm still glad to have a copy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im disappointed. No real character development.

They started the series with people saying they're going into the Marines. then the next minute they're landing on Guadalcanal.

Thing I was confused was the back and for with (sledge?) with the heart murmur. Was that his dad making that up or did he really have it?

The sex scenes. Now, any guy wouldn't mind seeing the female of the species in their birthday suit, however I think it detracts from the storyline.

Hi,

Now have the DVDs here in Brazil! :thumbsup:

An image of the welcome for them here in "war room":

thepacific1.jpg

;););)

Best regards,

Ricardo.

:thumbsup:

Im disappointed. No real character development.

They started the series with people saying they're going into the Marines. then the next minute they're landing on Guadalcanal.

Thing I was confused was the back and for with (sledge?) with the heart murmur. Was that his dad making that up or did he really have it?

The sex scenes. Now, any guy wouldn't mind seeing the female of the species in their birthday suit, however I think it detracts from the storyline.

He really had it. I started reading Sledge's book "With the Old Breed" and already seeing excessive "artistic license" being taken with the facts which is a shame.

In agreement, BoB was far better. Dont get me wrong, The Pacific was quiet tasty and hopefully it will appear under my Christmas tree this year. I was one of the suppliers for K-rations for the movie and watched the first few episodes but lost interest in it and just waited till it came out on DVD. Basically watched it until I saw my products then turned it off. Hopefully more movies still on the horizon!

In agreement, BoB was far better. Dont get me wrong, The Pacific was quiet tasty and hopefully it will appear under my Christmas tree this year. I was one of the suppliers for K-rations for the movie and watched the first few episodes but lost interest in it and just waited till it came out on DVD. Basically watched it until I saw my products then turned it off. Hopefully more movies still on the horizon!

I know what you mean. I know the guy who made those great ration cans you sometimes saw, and my greatest thrill in the show was saying, "cool, Rob's work got onto the show!"

I did like the beach landing scenes and the battle scenes were very well done, but I just didn't get "into" it much.

I was home sick today, so I popped in the first disk and watched the first couple of episodes. I found myself spending a lot of time on the fast forward button...

Maybe it was because it was pacific and all I ever did/do is ETO? I don't know, not fair at all to the marines and the pacific reenactors at all, but just not my expertise. Maybe I am older and not into it as much but still, BoB by far the best.

RelicHunter99

Band of Brothers had a much stronger character development, especially considering it centered on dozens of characters rather than just 3 or 4 like Pacific did. The other problem was, I didn't feel the characters in the Pacific were really that likable. It was a good series and well worth watching, but while I own BOB and have watched it multiple times, I don't feel like I ever want to watch the Pacific again.

Interesting...I was not aware that a Technical Advisor had the absolutely last word and could override the director.

As long as we are on this subject, take a look and this picture of DD in his USMC uniform with his medals and ribbons. See anything wrong? If you missed it, most of the ribbons on his right aside are backwards.

When full size medals are worn (on the wearer's left side) any ribbons for which there is no corresponding medal are worn on the wearers right side. When those ribbons are worn they shall be worn in the same order that they would appear if they were on the wearer's right side. In other words, as you look at this picture, the Navy PUC should be on the left side and the Navy MUC should be on the right side of the first complete row. The Vietnam Civil Action Unit Citation sould be on the right side and the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon should be on the left side of the second complete row.

They were mounted incorrectly.

Ron

The ribbons are NOT mounted incorrectly. They are supposed to be mounted in reverse order, when the medals are worn. The highest ribbons are always worn toward the heart. We do our ribbons the same way, when we are in our Class Alphas.

The ribbons are NOT mounted incorrectly. They are supposed to be mounted in reverse order, when the medals are worn. The highest ribbons are always worn toward the heart. We do our ribbons the same way, when we are in our Class Alphas.

Respectfully disagree Sir, with regard to Marine Corps Uniform regulations (I cannot speak for USCG regs, not questioning that in the least). Regardless of WHERE the ribbons are worn (wearer's right or left), the ribbons are worn in the appropriate order, not "senior" ribbon toward the heart. According to Marine Corps Order 1020.34G w/Change 1-4:

Para 5102:

"4. Awards shall be worn in order of precedence from top down and from the

wearer's right to left..."

-and-

Para 5104:

"1. Based on heraldry, blue, the senior color, will be uppermost and/or to

the wearer's right."

Lastly, the most definitive reference, Para 5202:

"3. Wearing Ribbon Bars With Large Medals. When large medals are worn, all

unit citations and other ribbons with no medal authorized will be worn

centered over the right breast pocket, the bottom edge of the lower row 1/8

inch above the top of the pocket. Women will wear these ribbons on the right

side of the coat front in about the same vertical position as worn with dress

"B" and service "A" uniforms. Ribbon bars are normally worn in rows of three

in the order of precedence from the wearer's right to left and from top down

(for example: top row, Combat Action Ribbon, Presidential Unit Citation,

Navy Unit Commendation; bottom row, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Korean

Presidential Unit Citation, Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation). Marines who

have not been awarded large medals, but who are entitled to wear a ribbon(s)

for which no medal is authorized will wear such ribbon(s) over the right

breast pocket as described above."

Not trying to incite a flame war, just trying to clarify.

Semper,

Ski

No inflammation taken. :D I am a student as well.

Thank you for posting the uniform regs. Is this a newer revision(past 18 years)? I know that it is like I stated for my present branch of service, but I was certain it was the same way when I was in the Marines as well(almost 20 years ago).

Semper Fi

Paul

No inflammation taken. :D I am a student as well.

Thank you for posting the uniform regs. Is this a newer revision(past 18 years)? I know that it is like I stated for my present branch of service, but I was certain it was the same way when I was in the Marines as well.

Semper Fi

Paul

Hey Paul,

Don't know what the original regs stated, or even when you first see ribbons worn on the opposite pocket with medals (SOMEBODY here does have that info, though, I'm sure! :thumbsup:)

I think it's difficult to find many pics of Marines in Blue "A's" predating the Vietnam era. If anyone has them, I'd love to see 'em!

Semper,

Ski

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I thought it was great. It's probably because I watched it from an entertainment angle and I'm easily entertained with a war movie :) It has to be really, really bad for me to stop watching it because "GROAN--there is NO WAY!" If I had to change something, I would have shown the interviews with the characters before the movie starts; rather than after the movie. This would give you a better feel for what's going on if you haven't read Sledge's book, or Leckie's book.

Anyway, old war movies are good examples of imperfection when it comes to detail; yet, I love them. If you start looking for mistakes, you are going to be very disappointed, instead of being entertained. Take, for example, the movie Gung Ho. On the photo shown below from the current issue of the Marine Raider Newsletter, as you can see, even the real experts (those who were there) do not always concern themselves with every minor detail. They try to convey what it was like to be there. Does that mean that they didn't do a bang-up job? Watch the movie and you be the judge ;)

post-70-1293665653.jpg

I guess I'll give my .02 cents here also haha

I enjoyed parts of the series, I didn't get to see it in perfect order due to working nights on sundays, and missing a episode here and there. But ever since I bought the DVD set and moved into my new apartment with my fiance, I have been bugging her about watching it with her, cause she was curious since she loved BoB (mainly Malarkey).

So we sat down last week and popped in the first disc and started watching, after making it through the first two episodes my fiance said turn it off its crap. I asked her why and she stated the same things I have read on a lot of these posts, no character bonding, and this and that. I still wanted to continue watching it, so after she went to sleep I popped in the second disc and I lost interest until I made it to the Sledge episodes.

The Leckie episodes just seemed like they were missing something, Sledges episodes were by far the best. I enjoyed it when Sledge first arrives and how everyone ignores him and SNAFU did the famous, That bunk is taken gag, which happens to a lot of new guys. I also enjoyed it when Snafu was just watching them clean the Oil Barrels cause he loves to watch New Guys Sweat.

I did wish that they would of showed off the Corpsman a little more like someone mentioned earlier. It seems like the Corpsman/Medics are just that filler character.

Snafu was the best character out of the series, and that actor was amazing his eyes were freaking me out.

I don't see me watching this series as much as BoB to be honest, I think its great they are starting to show off the Pacific theater more now, those stories need to be told. I just think BoB caught my attention more cause of the character bonding.

Sorry for the rambling I am dead tired haha

• 4 weeks later...

Not a fan, it was too shallow. They barely included what they needed to qualify for a WW2 setting.

Now, if they had combined it with Tregaskis's Guadalcanal Diary and centered it around Guadalcanal (or any one place) they would probably have done better. Otherwise it just didn't have a clear story with any of the characters, really they just ran through it too fast to make an impression.

• 9 months later...

My favourite character in this miniseries is actor Gary Sweet as old Sgt Elmo "Gunny" Haney.

I agree with those of you who tell that there is big difference between the BoB and Pacific. But there is also big difference between WWII era ETO and Far East wars and their scale of war crimes, dehumanization and general barbarity. That is why I disagree that BoB is better, Pacific worse. They are uncomparable movies, the same as ETO and PTO are uncomparable scales of dehumanization.

The Pacific actors play their roles a narcotic trance like with unseeing eyes. And no wonder. The PTO with its scale of barbarity is like surrealism in comparison with the ETO. Remember that PTO was a war of two extremely different cultures, whereas ETO was relatively "civilized" war of Western culture. White man, a representative of Western culture, was in such a shock in the PTO seeing Japanese barbarity that do not expect big differences between characters of this movie. All of them play like in the state of delirious fever and this is big value of this miniseries, not a weak point as some of you see it.

Best regards

Gregory

Since Gregory resurrected this thread, I thought I would add a short opine!

Now that the Army has their mini-series (BOB) and the Marines theirs (Pacific), it is time for the Navy to have theirs! Yes, the Navy was represented in Pacific! But, a mini-series that covers, say the crew of a DE that fought in the Atlantic and then on to the Pacific would be warranted! OK, then they can do one about the Air Corps! Wake up Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg!

I just happen to know two vets that are writing a book about one of the first DE loses in the Atlantic. So Tom and Steve, expect a transcript in the mail!! :wink2:

My favourite character in this miniseries is actor Gary Sweet as old Sgt Elmo "Gunny" Haney.

I agree with those of you who tell that there is big difference between the BoB and Pacific. But there is also big difference between WWII era ETO and Far East wars and their scale of war crimes, dehumanization and general barbarity. That is why I disagree that BoB is better, Pacific worse. They are uncomparable movies, the same as ETO and PTO are uncomparable scales of dehumanization.

The Pacific actors play their roles a narcotic trance like with unseeing eyes. And no wonder. The PTO with its scale of barbarity is like surrealism in comparison with the ETO. Remember that PTO was a war of two extremely different cultures, whereas ETO was relatively "civilized" war of Western culture. White man, a representative of Western culture, was in such a shock in the PTO seeing Japanese barbarity that do not expect big differences between characters of this movie. All of them play like in the state of delirious fever and this is big value of this miniseries, not a weak point as some of you see it.

Best regards

Gregory

I think James Jones called it the "1,000 yard stare"

Bill

bratwurstdimsum

Now that the Army has their mini-series (BOB) and the Marines theirs (Pacific), it is time for the Navy to have theirs! Yes, the Navy was represented in Pacific! But, a mini-series that covers, say the crew of a DE that fought in the Atlantic and then on to the Pacific would be warranted! OK, then they can do one about the Air Corps! Wake up Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg!

I just happen to know two vets that are writing a book about one of the first DE loses in the Atlantic. So Tom and Steve, expect a transcript in the mail!! :wink2:

Yeah its a good thing the movie about the battle of midway is coming up...lets hope they done sink it with another irrelevant love story!

http://screenrant.com/battle-of-midway-movie-3d-robf-76123/

Now that the Army has their mini-series (BOB) and the Marines theirs (Pacific), it is time for the Navy to have theirs!

Yes, you are right. I would expect a miniseries with such an atmosphere as can be seen in the "Action in the North Atlantic" -- the movie of 1943.

I think James Jones called it the "1,000 yard stare"

Bill

Thank you Bill for proper English-language wording. That's exactly what I am writting about, I mean this atmosphere of particular episodes in this miniseries.

I've watched the Pacific twice now and noticed different little things each time. In my opinion it is is fact better than BOB. The combat scenes were very well done and i thought it conveyed the chaos of combat very well.

Second time round i got a better feel for the characters.

I do believe that people who have served in some form or other in the Military -especially an Infantry Bn will have a different perspective on it than someone who hasn't. I could relate to it very well.

Rich