Enlisted Submarine Service Groups

USMCR79

I was reading this evening that tomorrow will be 147 years ago that the CSS H.L. Hunley sank the USS Housatonic off Charleston SC (and was also sunk).

Let's "Honor" the "backbone" of the "Silent Service" the enlisted men.

My contribution: CTM Frank Romano "China Sailor"

post-248-1297910036.jpg

post-248-1297910043.jpg

Here's just a small portion of the grouping of Theodore H. Breisch of the USS Redfin, who just so happens to be my grandfather (and is also the one who put the ribbon bar on backwards). :D

img0220bj9.jpg

img0225vy2.jpg

img0221jk7.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

Albert Clements was from Conn. and enlisted in 1919, He was an Electrician on the USS O-2 and later transferred to the Gunboat USS Sacramento which earned the Philippine Mindanao & Sulu Campaign Medal

Bill

post-248-1297997792.jpg

post-248-1297997802.jpg

I dont know how I messed it up, but thought I was posting my grouping in this thread. It ended up under groupings in general with title Petersen family navy grouping. Two of the three members of that family served aboard subs, including Peter Petersen, who was aboard the USS O-10 in WWI. Check out that thread, and sorry it didnt post correctly here, I love this topic and thanks for starting it.

This group has been in my collection over 15 years, This is the Navy Cross group to MoMM 1/c Francis X. Ryan from the USS Harder.

I have been told that there were only 5 Navy Crosses awarded to enlisted submariners.

Ryan transferred off the Harder just before it's last patrol.

Bill

post-248-1298339162.jpg

This group has been in my collection over 15 years, This is the Navy Cross group to MoMM 1/c Francis X. Ryan from the USS Harder.

I have been told that there were only 5 Navy Crosses awarded to enlisted submariners.

Bill

Holy Schmoly Bill- Don't hold back! Wow- Now that's an AMAZING sub group. Really nice stuff!

Holy Schmoly Bill- Don't hold back! Wow- Now that's an AMAZING sub group. Really nice stuff!

Glad you liked it!!

I'll try to get some more "shots" this weekend, I've been rearranging my "room"

Bill

• 4 months later...
conningtower

I recently acquired this USS Crevalle medal grouping at our local semi-annual militaria show. The group was awarded to Albert Jenigen, who was a MoMM2c and served on all of Crevalle's patrols except the first. I did a double take at the show when I saw his name on the documents - I had purchased Jenigen's scrap book (with his Bronze Star and Mighty Mine Dodgers certificates as well as many great photos) a number of years back. So, it's good to have the grouping reunited. I will post a detailed thread showing the highlights of the grouping soon.

post-12399-1310345139.jpg

Here is another WWII USN group I recently acquired on Ebay unresearched ! It pays to figure out what it is before the auctions close

This bar belonged to a sailor who served on the USS St. Louis and was present aboard the ship during the attack on Pearl Harbor December 9, 1941. He later was a crewman on the USS Stingray for 2 years.

His WWII Sub Combat Badge with 3 stars was sold seperately on Ebay. It went for $352. I did not win it ! The medals were less than $100. Go figure !

Kurt

post_105_1227824860.jpg

post_105_1227824870.jpg

My only Sub group (and it barely qualifies.)

The USS Herring’s eighth war patrol was to be both her most successful and her last. Topping off at Midway Island on 21 May 1944, Herring headed for the Kurile Islands patrol area. Ten days later she rendezvoused with Barb (SS-220). Herring was never heard from or seen again. However, Japanese records prove that she sank two ships, Ishigaki and Hokuyo Maru, on the night of 30 – 31 May. Ishigaki had been responsible for the sinking of USS S-44 (SS-155) on 7 October 1943. Herring's exact manner of loss can also be determined from these records. Two more merchant ships, Hiburi Maru and Iwaki Maru, were sunk while at anchor in Matsuwa Island on the morning of 1 June 1944. In a counter-attack, enemy shore batteries scored two direct hits on the submarine's conning tower and "bubbles covered an area about 5 meters wide, and heavy oil covered an area of approximately 15 miles." On her last patrol, Herring had sunk four Japanese ships for a total of 13,202 tons. In all she had sunk six marus totaling 19,959 tons, and a Vichy cargo ship.

post-8213-1310348652.jpg post-8213-1310348702.jpg

Forgot to add...notes from WiKi.

• 7 years later...

Bill, thank you for bringing this thread up. I have never seen it.

I don't normally collect medals, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate both the rarity and the valor of men who braved the depths (and depth charges).

Bill

Stunning group Bill

Kurt

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My only submarine group, posthumously awarded Purple Heart, combat badge, and other medals to this young brave man.

m1.jpg