Help ID'ing WWI Aviator

cthomas

Good evening. I'm trying to research this ID'd photo showing W.C. Baker of the 138th squadron, US Aviation Corps. The photo is dated 1917 on back. Any further information on this aviator would be greatly appreciated!

-Chuck

post-518-1190159475.jpg

He does not appear on the Zones of Advance list, which shows any aviator who made an ascent over the lines in WW1. It is not the end all be all list but it shows 90% of the men who went overseas. I would assaume that he most likely stayed stateside and was posted to one of the flying field , such as Love, Ellington..etc.. Hope this helps Paul

Thank you guys. It would be great to get a roster of the 138th in France so that I can search for his name that way. I tried googling the name for a couple of hours but strangely enough, no good hits. I found a few references to the 138th. Not much else.

-Chuck

Thank you guys. It would be great to get a roster of the 138th in France so that I can search for his name that way. I tried googling the name for a couple of hours but strangely enough, no good hits. I found a few references to the 138th. Not much else.

-Chuck

Had a look in "Wings of Honor" which is pretty authoritative on U.S. flyers in the A.E.F. No 'W.C. Baker' listed. It shows that 138th Pursuit went operational on Nov 11, 1918.

Good Luck.....Bobgee

Had a look in "Wings of Honor" which is pretty authoritative on U.S. flyers in the A.E.F. No 'W.C. Baker' listed. It shows that 138th Pursuit went operational on Nov 11, 1918.

Good Luck.....Bobgee

Would it matter if he's listed as William Charles Baker? I can't say for sure if he used "W.C." for all docs concerning his career in the Aviation Corps. He could also have remained behind as an instructor...

-Chuck

Bobgee, thanks!

The Zones of advance list is more complete than Wings of Honor. It lists all aviators that flew in the "Zone of Advance" not just combat pilots and observers. Paul

The Zones of advance list is more complete than Wings of Honor. It lists all aviators that flew in the "Zone of Advance" not just combat pilots and observers. Paul

Hi Paul,

Where can I find/buy a copy of the Zones of advance list?

Good luck I made my copy at Dayton when the research room was open. It is over 100 pages and is a must to any WW1 air serivce collector. Paul

Thanks Paul. Is the Research Room at Wright -Patterson closed? What is the title and author of the Zones of Advance book? Maybe I can find it in interlibrary loan.

-Chuck

Chuck,

The following issue of "Cross & Cockade" discusses the 138th Aero Squadron. Maybe a forum member may have it and can copy it for you.

Cross & Cockade Volume 1, 1960 page

Volume 1, Issue 1

Origin of the Organization 1

1st Lt. Charles R. D'Olive 3

Photos of the 93rd & 25th Aero Squadron 15

Photos of the 138th Aero Squadron 16

With the 138th In France 17

Summary of Air Information 19

"Stars And Stripes" 20

Letters From Former German Pilots 30

Insignias of the 93rd and 25th Aero Sqns. Rear Cover

Thanks BEAST. Wish I had a name to thank you by personally. Your suggestion is appreciated nonetheless. I'd love for someone to step forward with a copy of the below issue or at least a source I could purchase an issue from. I'd also love to get my hands on a copy of that Zone of Advance list Paul referred to. Please, if anyone has a copy and would like to share it with me, I would be extremely grateful.

-Chuck

Chuck,

The following issue of "Cross & Cockade" discusses the 138th Aero Squadron. Maybe a forum member may have it and can copy it for you.

Cross & Cockade Volume 1, 1960 page

Volume 1, Issue 1

Origin of the Organization 1

1st Lt. Charles R. D'Olive 3

Photos of the 93rd & 25th Aero Squadron 15

Photos of the 138th Aero Squadron 16

With the 138th In France 17

Summary of Air Information 19

"Stars And Stripes" 20

Letters From Former German Pilots 30

Insignias of the 93rd and 25th Aero Sqns. Rear Cover