OL M1905 Markings

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Picked up an OL M1905 today,uncut, nothing special, typical used condition, in a USN scabbard. It was a 1942 dated, w/ big Ord. stamp on the other side. What I did notice was it also had the Ord Bomb stamped on the bottom, back of the guard. I've seen the Ord Bomb on top, and bottom of blades in front of the guard, but can't recall seeing it on the backside of the guard. Checked my M1905 PAL, UFH, and an OL M1905E1 dated 1943w/ Big Ord, but none had the Ord Bomb at all. What's up w/ the double markings? Have I missed something in my studies? THX SKIP

Hey Gang! Picked up an OL M1905 today,uncut, nothing special, typical used condition, in a USN scabbard. It was a 1942 dated, w/ big Ord. stamp on the other side. What I did notice was it also had the Ord Bomb stamped on the bottom, back of the guard. I've seen the Ord Bomb on top, and bottom of blades in front of the guard, but can't recall seeing it on the backside of the guard. Checked my M1905 PAL, UFH, and an OL M1905E1 dated 1943w/ Big Ord, but none had the Ord Bomb at all. What's up w/ the double markings? Have I missed something in my studies? THX SKIP

The earliest OL production the guard with the Ordnance Shell and flame as you describe. In my experience it is fairly uncommon and was probably only done for a fairly short time. Often poorly struck.

UFH-OSF2b.jpg

Gary- As always "Thank You!", your input is well appreciated. The Ordinance bomb is very deep and crisp on mine, which is probably why it caught my eye. I needed an OL M1905 for my collection, glad I jumped on that one. THANKS AGAIN! SKIP

I'd like to thank Gary too. I've learned that my long OL is an early one with a square cut fuller and the bomb on the cross guard. Thanks again.

Marv

DSC02990.jpg

WRT an 1942 OL just received from the CMP I thought I was perhaps seeing something that wasn't there. After reading this post however it sounds as though some OL's were marked with an ordnance bomb on the underside of the blade. Is that what I'm seeing here? Thanks

post-3625-1298849529.jpg

SDC-That's the spot! Usually bottom or top of blade. Generally, I suspect they wear off fast due to the location. Have only seen that mark on relatively mint blades. SKIP

Thanks for the information ... this bayonet is in fact in very nice condition, although it has a couple "issues" as noted on my earlier posting below.