Psychedelic Cookie / Flower Power: 9th Infantry Division patches in Vietnam

Sabrejet

Here we have a used example of a VN War era embroidered twill patch of the famous 9th Infantry Division. During the Swingin' 60s, the patch was variously referred to as the Psychedelic Cookie or Flower Power...for obvious reasons!

post-8022-1297274192.jpg post-8022-1297274203.jpg

Sabrejet

The 60s/70s nicknames are always cool! Don't mean to hijack your thread but here are some more "nicknames":

"The flying butterknife" and "the herd" ... 173rd Abn

post-2063-1297278688.jpg

And the "leaning sh*thouse".

1st Logistical Command.

Done for pics now. If I intruded, I apologize. I get excited about VN stuff!

I hope someone else includes "the puking buzzards" and "the horse they never rode, the line they never crossed, and the yellow speaks for itself". I hope other members fill us in!! haha! Don't want anyone to jump on me especially if they were in the 101st or 1st Cav!!! My father said an argument might start if I post too much and veterans from those units read this. So my time to stop is now! :w00t:

post-2063-1297279103.jpg

Just as an FYI...because I seem to see a lot of them...wearing colored Christmas Cookie shoulder patches in-country was an Article 15 offense in the 9th Division and it was enforced with a passion. Ever notice how easy it is to pick out 9th Div pictures during the war? It's pretty rare to find any of guys...in the field or not...w/o ssi. The only pictures I think I have of colored ssi being worn are by tiger scouts (not including tabs.) Leaving country guys wore khakis and wore either a pocket hanger or, more commonly, no insignia at all.

Like the peace symbol in the center of the Octofoil. Very GI in late 68 - 69.

Thanks for the interesting additions gentlemen. Great stuff!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

I recall the 9th also being called The Salerno Buttercookie, although I can't think of why. The 9th was not in the Italian campaign.

Patch Johnson

Robswashashore

Salerno Butter Cookies were a staple of my midwestern childhood in the early 60s. As you can see, 9th ID looks just like one!

post-12350-1297344788.jpg

(I can even still sing the TV commercial jingle!)

Well, there ya go! Had nothing to do with Italy! And once again a member comes to the rescue with a neat bit of information. ;)

In late 1968 at Ft Benning, the commander of my student company was a recent returnee from VN and service with the 9th ID. He insisted on wearing (on his dress greens) a VN-made subdued 9th combat patch rather than a full-color US-made one. Why? Oh, he stated that the Div CG had OFFICIALLY CANCELLED or REVOKED the colored design...by his inference this meant permanently and in all situations and locations. There was no changing his mind.

The Octofoil shoulder patch of the 9th Infantry Division dates from the 15th Century when it was customary for each son in a family to have an individual mark of distinction. Under the rules of heraldry there are eight foils or positions. The Octofoil went to the ninth son, symbolic of him being surrounded by eight brothers. The symbolism of the Octofoil makes it a logical and correct insignia for the 9th Infantry Division. The red quarterfoil of the patch alludes to the Artillery, while the blue one represents the Infantry.

9th patches during the Vietnam years didn't all come from one source so it may be difficult to say what is correct or not. I'll attach two images. One is of a patch on a Jacket I wore in Vietnam and another is of two sides of identical patchs I bought in a PX at some time and never put on a uniform.

post-6574-1297376579.jpg

post-6574-1297376606.jpg

I have a picture of a color 9th ID being worn in country. Don't know if it is a tiger scout or not, as the face is hard to tell from the picture. Will try to post later.

And where is the post that Niner Alpha replied to? Is it gone or am I that dumb?

Yep...meant to add the link to the site where I got the meaning of the Octofoil design. NobelLoyalGSD is right on. That site got it from some place else though....can't find it just at the moment.

It's great to see how my initial post has evolved. Fascinating "been there" insights. Thanks to all who've contributed!

Sabrejet :thumbsup: