WWII USMC enlisted rank of RDMC??

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Does anybody know what the WWII USMC rank of RDMC stands for? I assume a higher ranking NCO but would appreciate anyhelp here.

I thank you in advance.

Kurt Barickman

Does anybody know what the WWII USMC rank of RDMC stands for? I assume a higher ranking NCO but would appreciate anyhelp here.

I thank you in advance.

Kurt Barickman

Hi Kurt,

I'm curious, in what context are you seeing it used ? Gear marking, enlisted file paperwork, uniform, etc. ?

At this point, you've got me stumped . . . :think:

Best regards,

Paul

I thank you in advance.

Kurt Barickman

RDmC was USN Chief Radarman during WWII, not sure about USMC usage.

-dan

teufelhunde.ret

Nener heard of such a "thing"

Kurt Barickman

MOTTRAM, CHARLES F

RDMC US MARINE CORPS

WORLD WAR II

DATE OF BIRTH: 02/11/1909

DATE OF DEATH: 01/03/1988

BURIED AT: SECTION 5 SITE 2560

Here is where? Anybody?

Kurt Barickman

RDmC was USN Chief Radarman during WWII, not sure about USMC usage.

-dan

I saw a WWII Vandegrift jacket on eBay a few months ago - the stripes were SGT but there was an RD insignia present on the sleeve (the lightning bolts with the arrow) and I was outbid (by a considerable amount). I can't recall the SSI, but I was bowled over by the USN rate insignia.

I saw a WWII Vandegrift jacket on eBay a few months ago - the stripes were SGT but there was an RD insignia present on the sleeve (the lightning bolts with the arrow) and I was outbid (by a considerable amount). I can't recall the SSI, but I was bowled over by the USN rate insignia.

As far as this uniform goes, what the insignia on the uniform meant was that the original owner had attended Navy RD school, so was a Radarman in the MC. As for the WWII rate designation, the C would have come first for CRDm.

As for the original point of this thread, "Recruit Depot Marine Corps" comes to mind, or a typo.

Steve Hesson

Kurt,

I am sure you have Googled it. Once you weed through all of the Run-DMC sites I found a cemetary listing for a sailor that had it as RDMC/3.

Ray

Kurt Barickman

Right,

But if you look at the gravestone data, this person was definitely in the USMC.

Kurt Barickman

Right,

But if you look at the gravestone data, this person was definitely in the USMC.

Kurt Barickman

True, but I am thinking the specialty would be the same.

Ray

Kurt,

I am sure you have Googled it. Once you weed through all of the Run-DMC sites I found a cemetary listing for a sailor that had it as RDMC/3.

Ray

That is a typo, it would have been RDm 3/c. These things happen. I see it alot, especially now with all the WWII guys dying off. No one really knows what the old ratings were or how to write them, so most people don't recognize a mistake. Also, a Marine would be listed by rank and not a Navy rating. I think you just have a typo. It happens.

Steve Hesson

Kurt Barickman
That is a typo, it would have been RDm 3/c. These things happen. I see it alot, especially now with all the WWII guys dying off. No one really knows what the old ratings were or how to write them, so most people don't recognize a mistake. Also, a Marine would be listed by rank and not a Navy rating. I think you just have a typo. It happens.

Steve Hesson

Do you think that this guy was not in the USMC? Or are you talking about his rank as a radarman?

Kurt Barickman

Do you think that this guy was not in the USMC? Or are you talking about his rank as a radarman?

Kurt Barickman

I'm saying it looks like they wrote his rank wrong. I am sure he was a Marine, they just typed in the wrong info for rank. Happens more often than we'd like.

Steve Hesson

teufelhunde.ret
I'm saying it looks like they wrote his rank wrong. I am sure he was a Marine, they just typed in the wrong info for rank. Happens more often than we'd like.

:thumbsup: agree, human error

Kurt Barickman

If you are right, it is pretty sad that his family didn't know the difference on his govt. tombstone.

Thanks for all the input,

Kurt Barickman

If you are right, it is pretty sad that his family didn't know the difference on his govt. tombstone.

Kurt Barickman

Happens more than you think.I personally know a FSSF veteran and when he passed the family had a Silver Star put on his stone.In reallity his silver star was a silver campaign star listed on his discharge.Not a Silver Star medal for valor.The family/widow just didnt understand the the meaning of the silver star listed on his discharge.I also see a lot of this in obituaries when submitted

RD

this goes to the discussions on here about families getting rid of grandpas military stuff. It has no meaning to them, so when typos or the like happen, no one notices. Most of us can read military paper work and make sense of it. We can look at bits of uniform or insignia and have a close idea as to what and when. To the aveage person out there, they have no clue. Unless Grandpa took the stuff out and talked about it alot, no one really cared. I just burried my Vet Dad, and to tell you the truth, it was an eye opening experience. Dealing with the people who should know (you would think). Most people working for the organizations that are supposed to handel these things do not know ilitary stuff either. My Father retired in '67, and many of the people we worked with simply could not understand he was an EM1. So, to us, it's "How can they make such a Bone Head mistake", but to them, it's "What's Wrong?".

Steve Hesson

Kurt Barickman

Guess it makes sense no that I think about it. It took my family years of trying to figure out what the PH meant on my brother's KIA govt. tombstone. It wasn't till years later that I figured out only after I gave up collecting TR and started US. That's from the relative of a collector! :lol: Most families are no different.

Kurt Barickman

Rank structure for the Marine Corps during WWII were as follows. RDMC has strings to Regimental Drum Corporal and Regimental Drum Major C (anybodies guess) Those are guesses and the only thing I could glean from the rank structure of the time that came close. I don't have much faith in it. Make of it what you will.

Enlisted rank insignia 1937-1944

post-8651-1298082785.jpg

Rank description - "Private" has no rank insignia

1. Musician Marine Band

2. Private First Class or

Assistant Cook **

Trumpeter First Class **

Drummer First Class **

3. Corporal or

Mess Corporal **

Field Cook **

Trumpet Corporal **

Drum Corporal **

4. Sergeant or

Mess Sergeant **

Chief Cook **

Trumpet Sergeant **

Drum Sergeant **

5. Staff Sergeant ** or

Staff Sergeant (Mechanical) **

Staff Sergeant (Mess) **

6. Platoon Sergeant **

7. Technical Sergeant or

Technical Sergeant (Mess) **

Drum Major **

Supply Sergeant **

8. Gunnery Sergeant ** or

First Sergeant **

9. Master Technical Sergeant or

Master Technical Sergeant (Mess) **

Quartermaster Sergeant **

Paymaster Sergeant **

10. Sergeant Major or

Master Gunnery Sergeant **

11. Second Leader, Marine Band

Enlisted rank insignia 1944-1946

post-8651-1298082812.jpg

Rank description - "Private" has no rank insignia

1. Private First Class

2. Corporal

3. Sergeant

4. Staff Sergeant

5. Platoon Sergeant

6. Technical Sergeant

7. Gunnery Sergeant

8. Master Gunnery Sergeant or

Master Technical Sergeant

Quartermaster Sergeant

Paymaster Sergeant

9. Sergeant Major or

First Sergeant **

Kurt Barickman

Hmmm......, the plot thickens. The tunic as the highest ranking enlisted sleeve insignia but it is the old pattern with the diamonds in the middle. Perhaps if this Mottram was indeed with the band, he was unable to find top ranking NCO band stripes with the lyre in the middle and put the ones on with the diamonds instead? The tunic also has a blooded Guadalcanal patch and has two hashmarks for eight years service and the tunic is dated 1943. Perhaps I should post some pictures. This is a righteous piece and there has been no other previous sleeve ranks on it.

Kurt Barickman

teufelhunde.ret
Hmmm......, the plot thickens.

:think: perhaps, but, one would think someone over all these years would have seen such a "thing" before? Are you pulling his file?

teufelhunde.ret
...The tunic also has a blooded Guadalcanal patch and has two hashmarks for eight years service and the tunic is dated 1943.

BTW, ancestry shows his entry date into the Marine Corps as 20 Jan 1944.... :think:

Kurt Barickman

I have no first initals so I am pulling all the Mottram files of enlisted Marines. One was the first one KIA in Fostoria Ohio where they have named a reservoir after him. What about the one guy you found on Ancestry joining in 1938? Won't know until the files come but I am intrigued by the whole thing.

Kurt