• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'd forgotten I had this until I stumbled onto it a year or two ago while going through my militaria in our storage locker. At that time, I thought it would be interesting to post it on the Forum and I brought it home and put it in the basement until I could get around to photographing it. Apparently, I forgot about it again and, this morning I came across it again while looking for something else and decided to post it before I forgot again.

If I remember correctly, I picked this up in Fredricksburg or, possibly Gettysburg several years ago. I don't know anything about it other that what you can see. The pole is made of brass, threaded on the end that attaches to the cross and somewhat pointed on the other to facilitate sticking it into the ground. The cross itself is cast, probably in bronze and, in addition to the threaded receptacle for the post, has two more above it, probably to stick a small flag into.

That's about all there is to it.

Span_Am_marker1.jpg

Span_Am_marker2.jpg

Span_Am_marker3.jpg

#2 DeuceGI

DeuceGI
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,420
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

I would try to find where "Uniontown" is. Barring that, if it were mine I'd find a local Span-Am veterans grave to place it on next Memorial Day. JMHO

#3 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 30,140 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

I would try to find where "Uniontown" is. Barring that, if it were mine I'd find a local Span-Am veterans grave to place it on next Memorial Day. JMHO

Thats a fine idea but in reality it will only be stolen and most likely sold for scrap.My relative a combat wounded Marine who served in the Pacific had his WW2 marker stolen about as soon as it was set.His local VFW supplied it.When his wife told me about it I told her to contact the VFW to see about a replacement or I would find/buy her one.It was replaced but I never asked her if by the VFW.We still dont know if it was taken by someone who wanted a new one to replace a worn one or for other reasons.

I also have a friend who is a worker for the local city municipalities and he and his employees take care of a local cemetary.In the old care takers shed are a couple hundred unused markers in various conditions.Many are GAR markers.He said the city told him to toss them.So far he hasnt.

RD

Edited by doyler, 05 February 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#4 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

I think it would be a fine tribute to a SAW veteran, on Memorial or Veteran's Day.
Although I would suggest you contact the Cemeteries caretakers and ask to have it set in a concert block underground. :thumbsup:

#5 swmdo

swmdo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,332
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

:thumbdown: In many states selling these and buying them is illegal. All you have to do is a google search and see its a growing problem. I never buy grave markers or stones as they are prob stolen. I'd turn it into the authorities. Sorry but not a good thing. Click on this link to see how bad the problem is: http://www.pittsburg...b/s_626630.html

Edited by swmdo, 15 February 2011 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)