8 replies to this topic

#1 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

Hi!

here is one of my 2010's finding. I've been out of the collection for a while, getting less interest in it, but when had some opportunities...

Just bought that one from another collector who found it and did not know what it was.

I had only found and see one empty box like those ones before.

The full box is still sealed.

Hoping mortars buffs will enjoy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yannick

#2 KeithL

KeithL
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,410
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

What are the square things with holes in the center?

#3 17thairborne

17thairborne
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,065
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

If I am not mistaken, those are the additional powder charges that are added to the base of the mortar round to propel it out of the tube at a faster rate. Each square is referred to as a charge. The Fire Direction Center would indicate "Charge 2", for example which meant the basic propelling cart at the bottom and one additional square (It might have meant 2 squares, have to check) The mortar man would take a single charge and add it to the mortar round at the neck yielding "charge 2". The slit in the square allowed it to slip onto the thin neck above the fins and the circle was the same diameter as the neck so it stayed put going down the tube. When the basic cart charge ignited in the base of the tube, the flash also burned the black charge adding more propellant to the fire and a quicker exit. Someone check my tactics here!

Oz

#4 a6skin9

a6skin9
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,337
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

What are the square things with holes in the center?

Those are what we use to call cheese charges. They are nitroglycerine and are propellents used in addition to the powder bags. 17thairborne is completely correct. When I was a mortarman we use to pop a quarter charge in our mouths and suck on it like candy, it would get you high for awhile. Oh the things you do when you are young.

#5 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:53 AM

Read a story years ago about a guy that went hunting and grabbed a handful of shotgun shells. Took aim, boom, woke up in the hospital. He had to use a hammer to get the double barrel open. When he did, he read the headstamp on the fired round, turned out it was one of those mortar cartridges. Always be sure whatcha put in yer gun!

#6 KeithL

KeithL
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,410
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

If I am not mistaken, those are the additional powder charges that are added to the base of the mortar round to propel it out of the tube at a faster rate. Each square is referred to as a charge. The Fire Direction Center would indicate "Charge 2", for example which meant the basic propelling cart at the bottom and one additional square (It might have meant 2 squares, have to check) The mortar man would take a single charge and add it to the mortar round at the neck yielding "charge 2". The slit in the square allowed it to slip onto the thin neck above the fins and the circle was the same diameter as the neck so it stayed put going down the tube. When the basic cart charge ignited in the base of the tube, the flash also burned the black charge adding more propellant to the fire and a quicker exit. Someone check my tactics here!
Oz

I thought that was what they were. I just thought it was odd to find the charges. I hope the propellant is stable.

#7 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,677
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

I have never seen this..must be rare. Cool find thanks for posting.

#8 37thguy

37thguy

• Members
    • Member ID: 729
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'd be handling those charges with kid gloves till you find out how stable they are! Nothing like loosing a hand just for your hobby! :o

#9 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

THanks for comments, I also think these complete boxes are rare to find.

I made this photos of various propelling charges for US mortars. from L to R: 60 mm, 81 mm and 105. I just found the smallest one in an old 60 mm mortar position near St Lô recently. I had never seen those small sachets previously.

Posted Image

On this photo I've added a german 81 mm mortar propelling charge.

Posted Image

Yannick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users