WW2 Army L4 Grasshopper Fort Sill Arty decal restoration complete!

ocsfollowme

I've spent about 20 hours on this project and the ASMIC San Diego show helped me finally complete it. I spent 3 hours working on it in the back by my quilts today. I was stuck on the "movement" icon/symbol in front of the mouth since my decal was damaged. Thanks to Morty for having another decal, which he allowed me scan that provided me with what the movement image was supposed to look like. My decal had thinner lines as it was one made after wiping the silk screen press clean so I had to rebuild the "movement" icon from scratch.

The final product will be displayed at the Fort Sill Army Artillery Museum which I am very proud of. The image quality can be blown up to movie size poster.

Several other interesting side notes, there are two variations of this patch. One with the instructor tab (I do not have the tab) over this insignia with the 2nd AAFLTD Pittsburg, KS wording on it and the simple circle with the grasshopper that was for Fort Sill L4 artillery spotters.

I introduced these insignias to a worldwide L4 flying and restoration group (on facebook) and they made full embroidered reproductions of these insignia to put on the flight uniforms. A lot of happy pilots around the world.

I am also going to make decals of this insignia for them to place on the doors of the L-4s. Just a cool way to restore history and show others about it. Just costed 20 hours and Morty allowing me to look at his decal and scan it so that I could recreate the image.

I love decals since they have the original and vibrant colors. I would love to have a section on the forum for decals, as I know that there are several of us savvy at photoshop that could restore images to their glory.

My original decal

5618136_orig.jpg

Using Morty's as a template

267442_orig.jpg

A super clean, vibrant and crisp version that will thrill Fort Sill.

7558261_orig.jpg

I have a ton of friends that will want a poster size image of this to hang in their cessna hanger.

Hope you enjoyed,

Steve

The third variation of the patch I once had and sold. It was silk, theater made, and was your identical patch, but with what I believe was likely Mount Fuji in the background.

Nice job sticking with your project by the way!

MW

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

gotta love that Ft.Sill decal. i live about 30 mins. from pittsburg ks. and ive only seen about 5 of those patches. never seen the tab tho. good luck.

Join the L-4 club on facebook.

Here is their reproduction off of my original. I have not seen the Pittsburg, Kansas reproduction yet. FE. A bit different though.

918321_orig.jpg

No worries MWalsh. This is my favorite WW2 insignia. I'd love to see others! I remember seeing those DIs from internet search....and they were yours!! Only ones that I have ever seen.

My wife is from Pittsburg, KS and we have been together for 30 years now. I have been looking for one of those Pittsburg, KAN patches for that long and have yet to find one. It is a KILLER piece.

Allan

The L-4 club is pretty excited about the finished logo and are asking for prints. Need to come up with a way to make a good decal as they shared with me the Fort Sill airplanes had the insignia on the tail fin.

post-122868-0-30003400-1410276719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is from Pittsburg, KS and we have been together for 30 years now. I have been looking for one of those Pittsburg, KAN patches for that long and have yet to find one. It is a KILLER piece.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I have one of the patches listed on eBay right now; it has the Mechanic tab. It's under US.WW2 shoulder patches, if you're interested. Take care.

Tom

• 3 months later...

So I made a 12x12 print of this on aluminum and finally got it in the mail today. Not too bad. Going to start restoring more decals and start hanging them in my living room.

post-122868-0-23806500-1421296446.jpg

• 2 years later...

Finally found my instructor tab to go with this! Now have the mechanic and instructor tab to go along with the patch. This one has a small hole in the green wing. Nothing in the pockets =(

post-122868-0-46232400-1488230797_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
aircrewremembered

Can anyone help me with the meaning of the initials AAFLTD

Thanks in advance

Stefan Pietrzak Youngs

AircrewRemembered.com